If you are a woman willing to train better and smarter in order to get fitter, faster and stronger, this strength training plan for female cyclists is for you ! Winter is an important period to build the season to come. Shorter and colder days invite you to stay inside, which is an amazing opportunity for high quality focused sessions on the mat to build strong, lean and healthy muscles !
To increase muscle cross-sectional area and maximal strength (which we will call “force” from now on), block periodization has proven efficient for male athletes. Block periodization is a model in which a unique goal or a few chosen abilities are being focused on. The training stimuli are thus concentrated within each block, and the training workload is increased by the cumulative effects of the blocks. However, the different physiology of female bodies and especially the different steroid hormones circulating in their bodies compare to their male counterparts require different training stimuli.
More and more studies published now prove the efficiency of working on training cycles based on the menstrual cycle rather than the classic periodization. In terms of strength training, the Weekly UnDulating (WUD) model has proven more efficient for female athletes than the block periodization (Bartolomei, 2015). The main idea to follow is to use the follicular phases of your menstrual cycles to develop lean muscle mass extensively, and to use the high hormone luteal phase to train the other aspects of a strong musculature (plyometrics and mobility). For women at peri- and post-menopause, the training stimulus needs to be intense enough to replace the lack of hormones (especially estradiols) in order to stimulate muscle building.
Strength training plan for female cyclist
In this pre-built plan, we included an adaptation phase for your body (muscle, tendons and joint structures) to get used to the resistance training stress. We also firmly believe in the importance of a strong core to prevent injuries (such as the classic lower back pain) and on the importance of regular mobility training for the health of your joints. Last but not least, this training plan includes plyometrics workouts to stimulate muscle maximal contractions and stimulates bone density.
This plan is meant to support female cyclists who are willing to focus on building core and force to feel and perform better on the bike. It is best used with the 12-week winter training plan.
You will need some equipment to make the best out of this preparation, not all of the following equipment is needed, having one set of dumbbells will make the training more efficient.
- kettlebell (suggested weights : 20kg and 32kg)
- dumbbell (suggested weight 5kg)
- swiss ball (also called stability ball)
- ankle weights suggested weights : 2kg each.
What you will get
Our pre-built strength training plan for female cyclists (105,00€) includes
- a 15 weeks calendar with programmed, periodized workouts
- there are 3 different versions of the plan depending on the length of your menstrual cycle. For female athletes at peri- and post-menopause, please be patient, we will release the dedicated plan soon !
- a structured blend of core, strength, plyometrics and mobility training
- a document explaining the training principles of these sessions and detailing the workouts with videos and/or pictures
- tips on what to include during your rides to complete your off-the-bike training
- discounts on your future training plans.
Get it now !
Your strength training plan for female cyclists is only a few clicks away from you :
- Order your plan and choose the right version for you by clicking here
- We will receive your order and answer you within 48 hours with your invoice and our payment details so that you can pay either by bank transfer or TransferWise.
- As soon as we receive your payment, we will send your plan over to you by email !
Find all our pre-built training plans here.